The Unit Popcorn Kernel is the person who coordinates a unit’s fall popcorn sale. Being a good kernel simply means being organized and having lots of energy. It also means being creative and helping everyone with selling popcorn and candy.
Popcorn Kernel Responsibilities
Some of the responsibilities of the Kernel include:
- Work with unit leaders to develop sales goals and “per-Scout” goals. Set Neighborhood Blitz Days, plan unit sales activities including door-to-door and online sales, place your pre-order, set up an exciting, fun unit kick-off.
- Review sales planning materials to assist you with your unit’s sale. Decide when orders, money, and prize forms will be due to you.
- Prepare handouts for unit kick-off meeting for both Leaders and Scouts.
- Enlist help from other adults.
- Hold the best unit kick-off ever!
- Discuss sales techniques, money collection, safety guidelines and register scouts for an online sales account.
- Check and monitor online sales of your scouts and determine online sales amount to be included in each scout’s total sales.
- Have fun and get your Scouts excited and inform parents why this sale is important to your unit’s success!
- Collect and total orders from Patrol Leaders on designated unit order due date.
- Oversee product pick-up at delivery location (s).
- Distribute popcorn and money envelopes to Scouts. Remind Scouts of money due dates.
- Collect orders and tally money.
- Issue unit checks payable to the Three Fires Council by the due dates.
- Check and distribute prizes earned by Scouts at your December meeting. MAKE IT FUN!
- Pass on ways to improve next year’s sale to your District Popcorn Kernel.